Friday, December 31, 2010

AH Glyph experiment

This week I tried to see if I could raise the average price of glyphs on my server.

On monday I was looking through the ah glyphs to see which ones were not on the ah and which ones only had like 1 or 2 posted at low prices so I could buy them out and re post higher. Then I saw this guy posting glyphs for 250 gold,and he was the only seller. I then thought "there's no way someone would buy a glyph for that much, the highest I've ever sold one for was like 125g" then it hit me. "they would buy it if all other glyphs were in the same price range, and if it was the only one on the ah" so I went through the ah and bought all glyphs that had 5 or less glyphs in it's market for under 50g, and re posted them in batches of 5 for 225g each, just to see if they would sell. And did they ever. When I checked my AH toon a couple of hours later to post gems I had over 6000 gold waiting for me in my mailbox, 90% of it was from glyphs. Then I checked my AH post and had about another 20 items that were sold but in que to pay me and more than half of them were glyphs that I had reposted at 225g and the other ones were at 50g and above.

  I had a huge success on the first day of trying this that i repeated the process the next day and day after. I didn't make as much as I did the first time I did it but I was raising the prices of glyphs witch was my intended goal.

  Then I thought it would be awesome to buy all the "of waves" cards to make the tsunami deck for my priest, that pretty much ended my glyph experiment. after I had the tsunami deck, and volcano deck (might as well get both right?) I was pretty broke and I could not afford to experiment with my gold until I had a safe nest egg to fall back on just in case.

  A couple days after I stopped, glyph prices dropped back down to almost were they were before I started. It seems like they sell for a little more on average than they use to, but for all I know they will drop back down to were 100g is a lot for a glyph again. It seemed like my idea to try and raise the glyph prices was working, which I did not think it would. I thought as soon as I posted them at 225g each other people would undercut me by about 150g to 75g, and mine would be the only ones listed at above 200g. But that was not true, people would undercut me by the normal 1g, or 1 silver like I hoped they would.

I do plan on trying this experiment again but with a little more organization and planning. I supply roughly 20% of the glyphs in the glyph market, and sometimes 50% depending on the week, so I do have an influence over the prices on my server. I think If I check what the average glyph sells for for a week and then the average price after I try to raise the price again that might work. Also I need to have a huge stockpile of all glyphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment